Pages

Friday 24 August 2012

Listen to your conscience

Dear Audience,

One of my favorit
e navigation aids is my mobile phone's Global Positioning System (GPS). I like it because it makes up for my poor sense of direction! Whenever I need to travel to any unknown destination I simply key in the address and its computerized voice guides me with commands like "Turn left now," or "Continue on for 4 km," or "Turn right in 500 meters." When I obey, it always keeps me on track. When I stray it is always quick to warn me!

Deep within your heart God has placed an internal navigation system. It is your conscience, and in some ways it functions like a GPS. The word conscience literally means "with knowledge." It gives you knowledge of right and wrong, and warns you when you go astray. The Bible speaks of the inner voice of your conscience either "accusing" or "excusing" you before God (Romans 2:15).

In scripture we read more than once of King David being accused by his conscience. One notable time was when he committed adultery with Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah, a commander in his army. Although David initially tried to cover up his dark deed, his plan failed. So he wrote a letter to the captain of his army ordering Uriah's death. "Set Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retreat from him, that he may be struck down and die," he wrote (2 Samuel 11:15).

The plot was carried out. Uriah was killed and David took Bathsheba as his wife. But the two did not live happily ever after. David was tortured by his conscience and guilt gnawed at him daily. In Psalm 32 he describes his turmoil. "My bones grew old through my groaning all the day long... My vitality was turned into the drought of summer" (Ps. 32:3-4).

Realizing the weight of his sin and his need of forgiveness, David finally repented. In Psalm 51 we have his prayer: "Against You, You only, have I sinned... Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow... Create in me a clean heart, O God." The Lord answered and mercifully forgave David. His guilt was cleared and his conscience was cleansed.

Because God loves you, He wants to relieve you of the heavy burden of your sin. But, like David, you need to seek His forgiveness. Is your conscience presently troubled over some sin or past failure in your life? Then turn to Jesus Christ in repentance. Have faith in the power of His blood to cleanse you of your guilt. "If we confess our sins," 1John 1:9 promises, "He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

In His strong love,
Demitri
A message from Calvary Chapel Community Church
Source of image:




No comments:

Post a Comment