Pages

Thursday 24 May 2012

Try a cliché

According to the South African Pocket Oxford Dictionary - 3rd edition, a cliché is a phrase or idea that has been overused and has become uninterested or stale.  In our society today, we have many of those. Words like “fun”, “I love you”, “I’m sorry” and often they mean nothing to the person saying it.
Let’s take for example the phrase “I am sorry”. Many of us use this word every day and what bugs me, is that we don’t really meaning it. I am sorry, means that you acknowledge the wrong doing and assume responsibility for the wrong. Hence, giving you the chance to make amends and change things to be right.
Now, it does not work like that anymore. I am sorry can be used to just make the person hurt or offended get over things, even if the offender does not mean it. As long as I said sorry, he/she must get over it and move on. That is one of our thinking.
We are in a world in which words get twisted, misunderstood and drawn out of the real context. Whatever you say, know the real meaning before using it in a sentence and please, mean it.

Source of Picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment