Pages

Thursday 8 November 2012

I Know I Am Not Perfect, But...




"But we all...beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image" (2Corinthians 3:18).
Dear Friends,
After being an alcoholic for many years, Sharon became a Christian. In Christ she found forgiveness, new life, and freedom from alcohol. However, to this day Sharon still views herself as a work in progress. "I know I am not all I should be, but I am not what I used to be either...God is not through with me yet. Like most of God's children, I am still a work in progress."

I am sure you can identify with Sharon. I can. That we Christians are still "works in progress" is evident from the word of God. The term the Bible uses is “sanctification”. Sanctification is growing in holiness. It is an ongoing work of God within our lives. It is God's Spirit within us, forming us, changing us, and shaping us into the image of Jesus.

What is Sanctification? It is "being transformed...from glory to glory." Sanctification is a lifelong process by which a Christian grows in holiness and becomes more and more like the Lord Jesus Christ.

“But we all...beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord" (2Cor 3:18).

Who does it? This transforming work is a ministry of "the Spirit of the Lord." Dwelling within our hearts, the Holy Spirit gently and gradually changes our nature into the image of Christ.

What must I do? Sanctification is a partnership between you and God. You can cooperate with Him by allowing His Spirit to work within you. Do you desire to be everything God wants you to be? If so, let His word to guide you in this process. In this verse the Bible is likened to a mirror: "Beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord..." When you read your Bible, God will guide you. He will reveal Christ to you. He will teach you and correct you. By reading and putting God's word into practice, you are allowing His Spirit to sanctify you. In this way you are cooperating with God.

I hope that this helps you in your understanding of sanctification. It is an exciting process that begins the day you receive Christ and continues throughout your life on earth. It is God's way of making you like Jesus, and gives you hope for the future. Like Sharon you may say: "I know I am not all I should be, but I am not what I used to be, either...God is not through with me yet!"

In His strong love,
Demitri

    Source of Image:
     http://onepassiononedevotion.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/i-am-loved/

No comments:

Post a Comment